Saturday, May 10, 2008

Swedish 101 - Lesson 1

Klockan är 1:00 på kvällen, och vi går ut. Här är en lite lektion på svenska.

Translation: "It is one o'clock in the afternoon, and we are going out. Here is a little lesson in Swedish"

Jag = I
Du = you
Han = he
Hon = she
Vi = we
Ni = y'all
De (pronounced dom) = they

a is similar to ah, like the a in father
ä is similar to eh, like the ea in bear
å is similar to oh, somewhat like the oa in boat
e is similar to eeh. I can't think of a good word and our phrasebooks and dictionaries aren't much help.
i is pronounced ee, like the ee in tee

Seems difficult, but once you get them down it's really not that bad. Spelling things is a different story. Also, Miranda and I aren't completely in agreement with these vowel explanations. We may be posting some corrections when we explain o, u, y and ö.

No comments: