Sunday, August 10, 2008

The good old days of fast food

Remember the good old days when fast food restaurants were trying to win the hearts of the American people? Their kids' meals came with high quality toys that no kid could refuse and they often offered something cool for the adults too. For just a little extra we'll give you a Coca-Cola glass to take home. Not the giant plastic summer cups that Arby's advertises every summer, but real glass.

Well, my stomach isn't very happy the campaign, but the Swedish McDonald's are giving free Coke glasses to each customer that supersizes their meal (a supersized meal in Sweden is the same as a regular meal in the U.S., but without the free refills). There's a trick, the glasses are multi-colored.

I think I missed the first week or two of the campaign, but started two weeks ago with a McDonald's splurge and got two green glasses in one week. Then in my second week I got a grey glass. I just needed one more trip to McDonald's to get another grey glass so I could form a four piece glass set, two green and two grey. Perfect. But those tricky devils had something else in mind for me. The ad in the store said that the weekly color was grey, but they gave me a purple glass instead. What were they thinking? My plan was ruined. I didn't know if the purple glass was from a prior week or from the upcoming week, but I couldn't risk it. I had to eat two more meals at McDonald's before the end of the week. One for my grey glass and one for my purple glass.

I've obviously spent a lot of time in McDonald's as well, and from what I can tell, I'm the only person that's been suckered into this sweet deal. In my last six trips to McDonald's I've only seen one Swede walk away from the register with a Coke glass in hand. I'm such a silly American.

Well, I achieved my goal and now have six glasses. My mind is pretty happy with my accomplishment, but my body is screaming for me to stop this madness. Four trips to McDonald's in one week used to be normal for me, but I don't think I can handle that diet any longer. Needless to say, I really hope I missed the pink, yellow and blue weeks.

1 comment:

the kilipino said...

omg. i cant stop laughing at this entry. i love that you love mcdonalds. perhaps we shall dine there together when teo and i come to visit!!